[OSM-talk] Translating the world

Kolossos tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Oct 25 20:27:54 GMT 2012

Hello,
in the last two weeks I translated all countries in all languages that
are available in the unicode-Project CLDR[1]. For this I used
Overpass-API link for country codes ISO3166-1[2].

In the second step I translated all capitals in tons of languages by
using InterWikiLinks of Wikipedia and Addtags[3] together with
Overpass-API[4] and Nominatim.

You can check the results for zoom levels 0-6  with map on
Wikimedia-toolserver[5], by changing languages under "options" (You can
use up- and down-key).

I hope I didn't make more mistakes than native speaker would do by hand.

These things were a small step to support multilingual-maps[6] on low
zoom levels. For the next steps more people are necessary.
In my eyes it seems useful to work as next step on the regions that are
regulated in ISO3166-2, but we have no clean tagging schema for this.
A source for translation could by a debian project[7], but I need to
clarify the legal aspects.

Other important thing would be to translate large cities or isles.

Any comments and ideas?

Greetings Tim alias Kolossos

[1]http://cldr.unicode.org/
[2]http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/country_code_iso3166_1_alpha_2