[OSM-talk] OSM being used by Boston Globe (US)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Oct 30 21:43:54 GMT 2012

I noticed this morning a map on boston.com (which is part of the Globe,
it seems):

  http://www.boston.com/news/weather/specials/hurricane_sandy_reports_mapped/

The map data looked like it was from nOSM, but there was no attribution
(only that it used leaflet), so I wondered.  I sent a note to someone at
mapbox asking about this, and when I looked again just now there is
attribution:

  Map data \303\251 OpenStreetMap (terms).  Powered by Leaflet

The \251 is the copyright symbol, and \303 is an A with a circle.
The link for leaflet is ok, but the previous two links are odd:

  http://www.boston.com/news/weather/specials/hurricane_sandy_reports_mapped/www.openstreetmap.org
  http://www.boston.com/news/weather/specials/hurricane_sandy_reports_mapped/www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl

presumably due to a missing http:// and thus being treated as relative.

The map style is nice - it's very much in the background, but useful for
orientation.

Greg