[OSM-talk] Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Vincent Privat vincent.privat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:42:46 BST 2012

2012/9/18 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> I'd put it like this: someone who didn't respect the import guidelines
> valid for  almost one year was temporarily blocked. What's the
> problem? That's what the DWG is for.
>

> Really ? According to [1]:

"The *Data Working Group* (data at osmfoundation.org) is authorised by the
Foundation to deal with accusations of
copyright<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright> infringement
and serious Disputes <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes> and
Vandalism <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism>."

As I understand this, the French cadastre integration is not concerned by
any of the DWG attributions. It is not its role to check how good or bad
the integration of external data has been made, when no one complains about
it, when the map has been improved by this integration, and when the local
community is perfectly OK with it.

What happened on 15th september looks like an abuse of authority to me, as
this largely exceeds the limits of the mandate given to the DWG. I expect a
clarification from the OSMF board on this point.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_working_group