[OSM-talk] Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Tue Sep 18 15:11:09 BST 2012

2012/9/18 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> Just to clarify this one point: The user had been contacted by DWG
> beforehand because he had imported several millions of objects under his
> account, and asked to continue his work in accordance with the import
> guidelines, using a separate import account. He ignored that request and was
> only blocked *after* that.

No, this user has originally been contacted because he deleted a large
amount of buildings in one town and was suspected of vandalism. It has
been confirmed very quickly that it was not vadalism, but an simple
update of data in the town.

> DWG does not usually block people without talking to them first, unless they
> are in the process of breaking things.
>
> DWG does also not usually require people to use a separete import account if
> they are doing small imports (even though the policy does not mention an
> exception for small imports). This, however, was orders of magnitude above
> "small".

A very large part of these upload have been done BEFORE the dedicated
account requirement that appeared like magic (until someone can
explain the process of its appearance) on the wiki.

>> My questions are:
>> - Who decided this change (recommendation -> requirement) ?
>> - What has been the process that lead to this major change ?
>

> I don't think it is a major change, but anyway I think it would be wrong to
> make a big fuss out of hurt pride and focus on that one single requirement.
> Anyone who is unhappy with the current import guidelines is invited to
> propose and discuss a change; and anyone who is unhappy with how such
> guidelines are adopted and executes is invited to propose and discuss a
> change there as well.

Can you explain how these guidelines have been adopted ?

I searched and found nothing and that is my main question here, not
all questions related to imports/decidated account which is another
topic.

> DWG has also been looking for someone from France to join its ranks in order
> to better liaise with the French community in case of problems like this but
> we haven't had any applications.

Really ?

I've been in contact with pnorman about this and proposed myself to
take care of problems happening in France.
Sending a message only in english is a problem for many contributors
who do not understand english so well or not all.
Diplomacy which is really necessary in this area is very difficult
when not writing in your mother language.

I confirm you have one application, mine.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest