[OSM-talk] Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 18 16:13:15 BST 2012

2012-09-18 Lester Caine

> Having to clean up some of the mess made by imports that were not as
well sanitised as they should have been, personally I get irritated at
any 'import' is loaded.

Lester,

I have often seen such arguments agains imports. In Canada also, there are contributors talking agains Canvec imports and saying we should have more fun tracing from GPS.

We have to analyze the problems more seriously and find solutions to them. A great work is done in Canada importing Canvec data. And like in France, I dont think that this is creating a lot of problems. Experienced mappers are doing a great job.

But we have to be carefull at new mappers, monitoring work done, contact them.  Has it was seen before, many mappers do not follow the distribution list.  It is not easy to follow mapping in an area, know the mappers contributing, and eventually contact them.  I suggest it would be more usefull to build tools to monitor local mapping and let local mappers monitor the work done in their area.

An international organization like OSM should not make the same mistakes has large organizations centralizing everything, adapting rigid rules.

Pierre