[OSM-talk] Re : Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 18 16:23:15 BST 2012

 2012-09-8 Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
> DWG does not usually block people without talking to them first, unless
> they are in the process of breaking things.

Frederik,

Governance and role of local communities should be looked in a context of multinational, multicultural organization. OSM has to adapt to this reality.

I was surprised to see the long list of users blocked without the local community be involved in the process (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/). Spoken language and cultural aspects are important elements to consider.

The local community should have the responsability to first contact a mapper. The DWG role should be reserved for more serious matters.

The Québec community is not important and I would like to see it progress.  There are political and linguistic tensions in many countries. If a non-english speaking contributor receives an email, with more or less agressives expressions about his mapping, that is very
 improductive for our organization.

The role of the local community should be looked more carefully and OSMF working groups should be more transparent.

How often the DWG group has communicate with the local communities to let them know what this group is doing?

Pierre