[OSM-talk] Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:56:22 BST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> On 18 September 2012 18:13, Christian Rogel

> The initial message on the 22 March 2012 and follow-ups pointed to the
> guidelines ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines )
> which include that imports should be done from a dedicated account.

Okay, he was contacted. I think another one was previously blocked
after an upload. And this threat was discussed on our list. But nobody
accepted this requirement of the guidelines (a separate account) since
we don't see any reason justifying it in this case (crowdsourced
import, sourced, limited, merged, reversible, etc...). It's a question
of principle, we cannot accept that all contributors uploading
bulidings have this hammer on the head. Because today, it is done
after 1 million uploaded objects, tomorrow it will be for a big town
and later for 3 small villages and finally all imports will be blocked
if it's not a separate account.

> DWG != OSMF.

The DWG is authorized to block accounts by the OSMF.

> OSM is not unique, wikipedia too require a dedicated account for bots.

The uploads we are talking are normally done with JOSM after the
integration with the existing data and validation. If it is performed
with a script, then it's a bad import done by one of the "black
sheeps" mentionned earlier. We also agree to block such bad imports.

Pieren