[OSM-talk] Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 08:03:01 BST 2012

Pieren wrote:
> Finally, he decided that the best
> solution to clean-up the mess was to delete the previous buildings
> dataset and import the new one. But again, his first intention was to
> upload the delta only.

I will be the first to admit to being a little lax in adding comments to my
commits, and rolling things together that should have separate comments. With
the volume of commits being made, it is probably not possible for review of
every one, but in this case 'Datacleanup' WOULD have been better as 'messed up
import, correct upload to follow' ... AND on an account flagged as 'import' it
would attract less attention ... but part of the reason that this happened is
that the importing of this data needs a little more automated help and that may
well mean software to help filter the new dataset prior to even trying to apply
it? Of cause the language problem does arise, but much as I hate it google
translations can help here although another pet hate of mine is the continuing
use of 'English' in the database. In these international times this data should
be 'rationalised' so that a simple text_id is stored and displayed against a
dictionary for all keys that are well defined - while using the English text as
a key can be done, compressing the raw data should be the next target? And I
only read English :)

Personally I've gone as far as I can with our own 'unusable' data set. I am
using it to fulfil my customer requirements, and will be be very active once we
get the go ahead to merge it with OSM. So I should probably be offering to help
assess what is needed to support the French data import. Except my French is so
bad that I'd not know where to start ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL