[OSM-talk] Import guidelines proposal update

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 06:26:54 BST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 9/19/2012 6:29 PM, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
>>
>> Or to be more precise: you need to use a lot of effort and check all
>> versions of an object (this means: the whole planet) whether it once had
>> the "source=cadastre" tag. But thats a lot of work to do. Much (!) more
>> easy to identify all the object is if you can take all object created by
>> a special account => just check the changesets.
>

>   I may be missing something, but the special account has the same problem:
> any edit that splits an object loses the created-by information unless the
> history is used.   Similarly, any edits change the last-edit owner.

Splitting can a problem, yes. It was decided to ignore it during the
ODbL change because it difficult to determine and is a pretty
miniscule problem at the end of the day. If a way  is split but the
nodes aren't touched, the way might still get deleted if all the nodes
go away.

As for the last-edited getting changed, that's why Michael talked
about using the changesets. You can download the OSC of the original
upload and have a list of all of the imported objects, regardless of
the current state of it. If all changesets of a user are known to be
from the same import it makes things simple. If you have to wade
through thousands of changesets with varying comments... not so
simple.

Toby