[OSM-talk] Import guidelines proposal update

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Thu Sep 20 11:29:04 BST 2012

> > I'd like to propose a change on the wiki page :
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
>
> I think that imports, or all automated edits, have multiple aspects.
Up to that point, we fully agree.

> there's also the technical or procedural aspect (...)
> I don't think these should be decided locally.
And that's where we disagree. Your are not accepting any distinction about all
different cases in your statement, and it seams you are implicitly denying
the ability of the local community to decide wisely.
What I miss is trust, I don't think we can build a world community of local
communities if no trust is transfered to local communities (or is it a local
chapter ? I have no clues about what differences there are)

There is a big diplomatic difference between :
"We don't belive your local community is wise enough, so we decide of
technical and procedural aspects for you and block your users if they don't
follow this guideline"
and
"We trust your self governance, here is the key to block your own members, we
are here to back you up in case of emmergency, please designate x
representative of your community we can talk to, and here are the guideline
we wish you enforce respect to your members"

> In the coming years we'll hopefully (...) discussion about what the local
> chapters  can decide by themselves and what not.

Any reasons to wait for years ? That's exactly the discussion we are having
now about a real case need, we have sent a representative of our community we
trust, I have a proposal for the first rule to be discussed and agreed upon.

--
sly
qui suis-je : http://sly.letuffe.org