[OSM-talk] Import guidelines proposal update

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 15:27:36 BST 2012

Vincent de Chateau-Thierry wrote:
> For the vector data, it is also available as raw .osm files, split into thematic layers :
> mainly administrative boundaries and buildings.

> Sure it can be processed. Change detection for buildings is a topic discussed on talk-fr
> but there is no real tool vailable yet to deal with it. And as said by Jean-Marc,
> buildings taken from the cadastre as vector parts don't have any ID at all.

My own interest here is more historic than current and I was looking for the
development of areas relating to my family tree, but there seems to be a general
consensus that once an object ceases to exist it should be deleted from the
database. So we need a home to put that data. You have data from 2009? and 2012
for France, so it would be nice to retain all this history as well. This is were
'local' archives may play a roll, and additional servers provide additional
layers such as the historic data that has been purged ... or older versions of
imports.

In specific relation to vector imports, I presume that the cadastre data is
'simply' individual lines? Rather than shapes? So every item currently has it's
own ID even if it's only a line number on a list, and comparing the 2009 data
with 2012 will produce a list of lines deleted and lines added? 'Hopefully'!

Some cleaver-clogs could probably put together a bit of code that links lines
where their ends touch, but if you just manually select lines and 'link' them
and then add a house number etc. Now we have an ID for those set of lines in the
import database and we only touch them again if the raw data changes ...
hopefully the geo-referencing has not changed between versions!

This is the sort of development we can all go around duplicating or club
together and come up with core code that only needs some local filtering to work
with a particular import? Isn't it better where we HAVE vector data to make the
best use of it, and then spend our time enhancing the details ... like adding
road names and house numbers?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL