[OSM-talk] Import guidelines proposal update

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 07:46:50 BST 2012

******
> a. Record the correspondence between source ID and temporary pre-upload
> negative OSM ID
>
> b. Record the correspondence between pre-upload negative OSM ID and OSM ID
>
> c. Combine for a correspondence between source ID and OSM ID, and save this
******
EXCEPT - that requires ALL the data from the external import to be loaded in
order to create the OSM ID which may not be a bad thing? ... BUT
Part of the 'preprocessing' before ever uploading the import would be to
identify which objects are going to be uploaded and which not, so you need to
create an 'id' initially related to the data source? That is providing that the
data source is actually identifiable data.

What I had not considered up until now is if the data source is simply a raw
vector file with version of a paper map, then while the individual lines could
be 'imported' the data is almost useless until it has been 'identified'? You may
just as well simply trace? But even here all is not lost since one can still
pre-process the data and provide the link back as to which lines have been
copied and which not. In which case the OSM ID provides additional data back to
the source, but I doubt that there is any value simply importing millions of
lines segments directly into the main database? This has to be a secondary
staging area to handle that data?

> d. When updating, identify objects that have changed or been added to the
> source
>
> e. For changed or deleted objects if the OSM object was last edited by the
> importer's import account, upload a new version reflecting the changes.
> Objects that have been edited by a person will require manual intervention,
> like now
>
> f. Handle new objects like before
>
> g. Identify objects deleted in OSM and check these, then submit corrections
> to the source.
>
> The one case this doesn't handle very well is POIs that have been changed
> from a node into a way.
>
> I'm going to be working on implementing this in a limited way for updating
> addresses locally. Addresses are different because the address should be
> unique in the city.

While the UK 'address database' can't be uploaded freely yet, I have been slowly
importing data manually, and it just irritates that every building has
duplicates of much of this data. I know a few attempts have been made at
relations and the like to group stuff, but as I have said in the past, isn't now
the time to provide a mechanism that uses 'lookup tables' for some of this which
will automatically simplify what is stored in the tags against each object? An
'address' in the UK only needs to be the 'property id' - house/flat number or
name - and the 'postcode'. Everything else can be provided by a 'lookup' on the
postcode reference. Now this ACTUALLY does not work simply because the
'postcode' has too many edge cases where you need additional information to
provide 'street'. That is why the nlpg data does not use it and simply provides
a reference to it deep inside. It provides a street gazetteer with a clean
reference number for each street ( and in theory a 'way' for the physical
location, but in most cases this is just a couple of 'end points' :( ) This is
the sort of process that could simplify a LOT of the micro/macro mapping
problems that are now building up, since a world wide 'street gazetteer' is the
base for all of the routing programs? And a top level map in its own right? All
of the problems of 'turns relations' would be managed in the 'street gazetteer',
while the underlying map can display all of the pretty stuff such as the grass
verges, footpaths and the like?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL