[OSM-talk] Multiple Layers for OSM

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Sep 24 08:36:07 BST 2012

In the recent discussion about the the imports in France and DWG governance
the issue of multiple "layers" in OSM came up again. If we had some kind of
layer system we could stage imports through them instead of adding all data
to the OSM database directly and this would help finding problems etc.

It turns out there are many other interesting uses of multiple layers but also
many technical and social questions around them. I have written down my thoughts
on this subject in a (rather lengthy) blog post:

http://blog.jochentopf.com/2012-09-23-multiple-layers-for-osm.html

If anybody wants to comment, I think this mailing list is the right place.

Jochen