[OSM-talk] Proposal for import guidelines

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Sep 25 20:22:50 BST 2012

I like this proposal - from my very personal point of view it safeguards
all the conflicting interests and reaffirms essential inflexible
principles while cutting some slack to users who perform small local
imports :

The "bot=yes" tag identifies the import as such, to help moderators
focus on that class of potentially widely damaging changes.

"bot_url=<link to a page describing the automated edit" provides all the
necessary context about the import, including quality and methodology
issues specific to the source of data.

The "bot_source_licence" tag clarifies the license status of the source
at that point in time.

The specific conditions (imports of more than a given number of nodes,
continuously running scripts, edits affecting more than one country) for
changesets for which a separate account is necessary are clear and
non-equivocal, reaffirming the current requirement for a separate
account while letting the users of occasional small-scale imports at a
local level perform them with their personal account.

The need to keep these conditions open-ended is a weakness that lets
detractors claim that they are arbitrary, but I'm guessing that this is
necessary to prevent users gaming the rules with stupid technical
loopholes... Not quite transparent but practical.

This proposal hits all the goals I have seen stated so far... Or are
there others that are not satisfied by this proposal ?

On the French list, some contributors are complaining that the
changeset-level tagging makes the separate account requirement entirely
obsolete. Technically, I believe they are right... But I hope they'll
see that this proposal could be a fair meeting ground for an opportunity
to improve the import process with better metadata and make it more
flexible where necessary while not messing too much with the current
international consensus.