[OSM-talk] Proposal for import guidelines

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Sep 26 12:02:11 BST 2012

My brief thoughts on what would fall on the mechanical side vs not

Mechanical:
Using (j)xapi to download all post boxes in a city without operator=* and
adding operator=* to them
Changing all McDonalds to McDonald's
Mass-fixing up import tagging
Anything done with absolutely no user intervention (e.g. xybot)

Not:
Using (j)xapi to download all post boxes in a city that you added without
operator=* because you realized they were all one operator and wanted to go
back to fix your earlier surveyed data.

In practice most mechanical edits fall extremely far on the side of being a
mechanical edit so even if it's a somewhat fuzzy line most will clearly be
on one side or the other.