[OSM-talk] All you've ever wanted to know about the french cadastre

THEVENON Julien julien_thevenon at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 27 22:21:38 BST 2012

> De : Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de>

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for this late response and hope to make debate less passionate.

> I don't know which data you have been looking at, but let's ask
Nominatim, shall we?

Great idea, this is always good to discuss about facts

Ok, so by example could you extract stats from Grenoble instead of whole France ? I thinks this quite representative of cities where there are buildings and quite a lot of details.

Concerning discussions about separated accounts I`m sure that there is a good reason behind that but it was perhaps decided for cases that do not match French one. What we are trying to do here is to discuss to understand why this rule has been done ( that's why we are asking for a list of issues that import Guidelines Rules want to address ) and if it is possible to find a solution both  satisfy the goal you have and that do not create problems for good-will french mapppers that spend time to perform clean cadastre integration. I`m convinced ( or at least I hope )that you don`t create this rule to make French mappers crazy.

Concerning the waste of bandwidth and CPU, the nuisance for people who want to use OSM data I understand the problem but I guess it will come even without cadastre because due to Open Data mouvment there will certainly more and more big data sources to integrate.
There is certainly something to do also with tools or database schematic perhaps to optimise this kind of issues but agains I think that cadastre is the thing that put the light on the problem but is not the direct cause of the problem.
We are mapping the world and I think this quite surprising to have only 32 bits id ( I face this kind of problems in my professional life with long microelectronics simulations ) but this is certainly due to good reasons when it has been designed and I understand the issue you mention.
So if cadastre building integration create technical issues like too many disk space usage or lack of technical solutions to solve the issue you mention I would prefer that you say that clearly and ask to stop cadastre import until there is a solution rather than saying use separated accounts or things like that won't solve your issue.
I`m really happy that you mention a technical problem and something concrete to explain clearly one part of the problem and I thinks that Fench community is able to understand this kind of problematic.

Thanks for your food for thought and I hope that we will succeed to reach a solution

Cheers
Julien