[OSM-talk] All you've ever wanted to know about the french cadastre

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 10:31:40 BST 2012

Vladimir Vyskocil wrote:
>> There are some excellent examples of how mapping should be done all over the world. But I do hope we have shown that a large percentage of the data STILL needs a lot of work? At the end of the day this is more about education of mappers and how to get the best out of the material available. In hindsight I think there is some agreement that perhaps the data should not have been made 'generally' available and that mappers were monitored a little more as to their use of the data? The horse has bolted now, so tools to clean up are now needed :(
>>
>> In SOME areas the cadastre is ugly with several strange shaped blocks sort of grouped together vaguely around the location of a clean square building on the imagery ... that is what is irritating ...

> Yes it's the actual situation, it is like some other big imports : TIGER, PGS coastline,..., it's a work in progress and the community is improving things, it's OpenStreetMap !
> I think OSM is better with this data in than without.

Lessons have been learnt!
The 'Proposal for import guidelines' thread seems to have petered out?
Nothing seems to have changed :) but I get a feeling that people understand we
are all just trying to help ... the British way is always to jump in with the
size nine boots :(

We don't have the resources to do some of the 'big' things that need doing, so
tools like http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr and the other checking tools are
essential. However it's a bit like the 'apple' problem - just where do some of
these tools work? Actually I think this is perhaps another point for the
'layers' discussion? If there was a layer with the coverage of a tool then it
could be used to identify where that tool is functional? Of cause I do get very
concerned when I see 'Raw Data Editor' ... yes we have to trust people, but are
the safeguards in place to cope with making that freely available? I work with
XML data and I would still be nervous editing it without the right tools!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL