[OSM-talk] Tagging the source

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 14:30:35 BST 2012

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> It mostly boils down to the simple question: does the mapper have
> local knowledge or doesn't he. Did he recently survey the area?
Reviewing my own 'processing', even where I have local knowledge I know I should
be adding tags when I'm tracing, but when I'm in the flow THAT disrupts things.
*I* would like something that flags that *I* pulled something from BING and
something else from OS or where ever. Having to type some bloody long string
each time means simply it does not happen :)
And yes part of the reason would be to flag a version of a data source!

> That's not enough reason to stuff the db with mostly pointless
> metadata like active imagery layers in the editor during  an edit. It
> might be an idea to add this information automatically to changesets.
Which would not work for all the reasons already given. Only if you save on
every change of configuration would that be accurate.

Perhaps all I am asking for is a 'default' set of tags that get added which I
have to change manually, but the DATA certainly is important, and tags like
'start_date' should be populated by default!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL