[OSM-talk] Imagery Boundary?

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Mon Apr 1 10:50:39 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer writes:

> Btw.: how many boundaries shall we tolerate?
How much of your mapping shall I tolerate? It's always the same answer. Pay
respect to other mappers. If the data is of use to other mappers, respect
it. Even if you would not map it this way.
I personally thing that mapping of underground power lines doe snot belong
into OSM. But I do not delete them. And i don't maintain them.

Using imagery to support mapping has gained a lot of importance over the
last few years. That much that we changed our OSM flyer to highlight it as
a foundation for data along with GPS tracks.

If the need for more sophisticated tool support rises maybe different
solutions will come up. recently there are projects providing offset
details, editors might display boundaries by default soon.
This is all work in progress.

Years back when Bing allowed us to use their imagery we did not have any of
this available. So storing a few hundred extra ways in the database had
been the easiest and most practical solution. The way do no harm to
anybody. So just keep them for a while until all functionality has been
migrated to different tools.

If you really want to clean up data have a look at the discontinued
"Schlecker" markets...

Stephan