[OSM-talk] Imagery Boundary?

ingalls nicholas.ingalls at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 02:09:08 UTC 2013

I'd like to reaffirm the following statement:

> +1, that's what I wrote. I thought the only question we're still
discussing is how to deal with outdated outlines (better keep/ignore them
when outdated so maybe someone can update them, or simply delete them).

As I've said several times, I am looking at removing ways that clearly do
not serve a purpose. I am not looking at destroying others work, and if
they ways are still useful and are used, I'm not going to be the one to
mass edit them out of the database. I think that the question of what
should we remove and what should we leave has been completely lost. If you
check out my original posts, I have no desire to remove useful tools
(imagery ways) for mappers. My concern is figuring out an effective way of
removing outdated ways. No one has suggested a different approach than what
I suggested in the beginning (mainly contacting the ways creator to find
out whether they are still useful/correct) If the user still uses the ways,
than obviously I am not going to remove them! On the other hand, most of
the people I have contacted about the ways have thanked me for taking this
on and the ways were left in the database only as an oversight after a
previous mapping project!

Updating the database is clearly a big problem OSM faces, look at the
recent posts on stale data. This is the same thing! To use a metaphor, I'm
not wiping out a whole town here! I'm trying to ask locals what roads are
no longer around so I can remove them! That being said, I am looking
for constructive feedback on removing outdated features not a
mass response of "deleting anything is BAD!"

I hope that clears up my point of view and my aims for this endeavor.

Cheers,
ingalls