[OSM-talk] SOTM Baltics 2013 in Tartu Estonia

Vladimir Elistratov vladimir.elistratov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 22:23:17 UTC 2013

Hi!

We've been discussing the idea of a regional mini-conference to be attended
by mappers from Estonia, Russia, Latvia and Finland. OSM community in our
countries seems to be a closed and isolated circle with a very few new
members each year. So we suggest to break the isolation through an
international OSM meet-up (or mini-conference) in Tartu, Estonia. We coined
the event "SOTM Baltics".

Mappers from the other contries are also welcomed!

Event format: very unformal (it's more like UNconference than an academic
conference): normal talks, lighting talks, "podium discussions", social
event in a pub in the evening.

Why Tartu? We have mappers from Tartu who volonteered to find a room for
the SOTM Baltics. Also, Tartu can be conveniently accessed from the largest
cities in the Baltic countries: Tallinn, Helsinki, Sankt Petersburg,
Moscow, Riga. Tartu is a university city and IT-center of Estonia.

Event fee: no or 10 Euro, to be decided.

SOTM Baltics dates: a weekend in July. The exact dates are to be decided
via polling (see below)

How to get to Tartu with public transportation. First reach Tallinn, the
capital of Estonia, then take a bus or a train to Tartu (2.5 hours). An
alternative route is via Riga. There are 4 daily buses between Riga and
Tartu that depart Riga at 8:40, 18:45, 22:45, 23:55. The journey takes
around 4 hours. Tickets can be bought at http://www.luxexpress.eu/en

If you'd like to attend the event, please take part in the poll to decide
on the conference dates: http://doodle.com/anddmr2kpxwnmv77

The discussion takes place in the talk-ee list:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ee/2013-April/001434.html
If you'd like to take part in the discussion, subscribe here: