[OSM-talk] MapRoulette update

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Apr 17 20:08:10 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 05:43 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 12.04.2013 01:11, Martijn van Exel wrote
>> [1] See my blog post for caveats:
>> https://oegeo.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/maproulette-challenge-lanecounts/
>
> Wait, there's a pretty odd piece of advice in there: "do not include
> merge lanes"? I would clearly count them towards the lanes value, and
> have used this interpretation as the basis of my mapping and coding so
> far (nothing important, but others may work from the same assumption).
>
> There are several places in the wiki supporting my interpretation.
> Perhaps most obviously, this example on Key:turn:
> http://wiki.osm.org/Key:turn#Motorway_with_links_and_destinations

[..]

We currently do not have a well-established lane tagging system, in
spite of all the (partially contradictory) information on the wiki
around lanes. So my proposal is to keep it simple at first, asking folks
to tag simple lane counts for the main travel lanes as a start. My hope
is that from doing that, a discussion about a sensible, comprehensive
yet comprehensible lane tagging system will arise. (In my opinion, none
of the wiki pages about lanes represent such a system.) Based on the
outcome of that, we can revisit specific situations in a more targeted
MR challenge.

--
Martijn van Exel