[OSM-talk] Native American/First Nation, etc. Reservation Boundaries

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Apr 19 21:49:38 UTC 2013

Looking at the wiki for help understanding why we don't have boundaries
reservations has left me confused. Can someone explain why they are not
there and if there is any plans to add them at some point in the future?

>From personal experience, it is important to know when you are on tribal
lands. Often different laws apply. In one Southwest part of the US, you
actually have to pay to take pictures on tribal lands. So knowing where you
are is important.

I think I understand that the existing administrative levels don't work. In
the US at least, the reservations have a  "domestic dependent nation"
status.  They are not States, Counties yet contain cities. The often extend
past state boundaries, and certainly county boundaries.

Thanks,
--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch