[OSM-talk] Native American/First Nation, etc. Reservation Boundaries

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Apr 21 17:59:13 UTC 2013

On Apr 21, 2013 12:29 AM, "Clifford Snow" <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>>
>> It's a little bit of a chicken/egg thing right now.  As far as I'm
aware, rendering of tribal nations went offline in mapnik around the time I
pointed out the overly broad tagging and that having most of Oklahoma and
big chunks of New Mexico hatched in white on green "IR" (had the former
tagging scheme been used on all 200+ such territories in North America)
would have been awkward and was misleading due to the nearly identical "NR"
hatch of nature reserves circa summer 2010 when I moved my geographic focus
to indian country.

> Is rendering the issue or tagging?

Yes.

> You provoked me to look further. I found a level 4 admin boundary with a
boundary:type of aboriginal_lands for the Hoopa Valley Tribe. Previously I
was only looking for a name with the work reservation. It was just added
August 4, 2012, relatively recently. I think your suggestion of a level 3
or 5 would be more appropriate.  At first glance it looked like the Six
Rivers National Forest, but it actually the Tribal boundaries.

I wonder if someone would be willing to make a proper proposal for 3 and 5.