[OSM-talk] GeoJSON and TileMill

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 07:46:25 UTC 2013

Peter Wendorff wrote:

> I want to do some maps in TileMill and have a question.
> As a data source for now I use GeoJSON exports from overpass-turbo,
> which looks fine so far.
> [...]
> It looks like tags are recognized as one field by tilemill, not as
> individual fields/columns, so that a selector by field is not sufficient.
> Is there anything I could do or is geojson support that limited?

overpass turbo isn't producing a nested tag object in GeoJSON's properties
anymore. Instead, the properites object is flattened and all tags are
directly accessible.

This should make GeoJSON exported from OSM via overpass turbo more usable
in various tools (TileMill, QuantumGIS, etc.). The details of the format
are documented at [1].

Greetings,
Martin / tyr_asd

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo/GeoJSON