[OSM-talk] Notable website/other updates being discussed

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Aug 7 03:11:41 UTC 2013

I'm trying something new to get more visibility to upcoming potential
website changes, as well as recent website changes. I probably won't include
the introductory material each time, but it's worth explaining what I'm
doing the first time. The purpose is both to get a wider audience for the
discussion of changes and to inform people what's going on.

I'm thinking I'll produce these every other week or so, depending on the
pace of development, my free time, and what kind of response I get.

My criteria for inclusion are

- User facing: I won't generally include changes that aren't visible on
osm.org

- Changes in functionality: I won't count changes that are purely bug fixes
or changes that aren't apparent to the user

- Noticeable: There are lots of minor changes to the website to fix minor
issues. Many of these are immediately merged.

- Would benefit from comments: I only include changes that stand a
reasonable chance of being merged in the near future, or changes that would
benefit from a wider audience

Feedback on these criteria is welcome, but I have no intention of posting
every little website change to the list. If you want that, follow the issue
trackers.

Most changes are in the openstreetmap-website project at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website although I will
include other projects if I'm aware of interesting changes.

== Changes ==

If you have comments on these changes, the best place is on the appropriate
github page for the change, which I try to link.

Add welcome page - Providing better text to users as they sign up.
Substantial changes since last email
Github page for change at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/338
Test deployment at http://welcome.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/user/new

Rationalize multiple "locate me" type functions - Discussion about confusion
and duplication between "Where am I?", home and the new geolocation button.
Suggestions of removal of "Where am I?"
Github page for change at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/373

iD 1.1 - Update to iD 1.1 (already posted to the list independently)
Github page for change at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/424

Move copyright link to attribution control - Moving Copyright link to a
bottom-right link in the map
Github page for change at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/423

== Significant merges ==

Hash anchor #378
Reorganize export/share UI and associated minor changes #351