[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 13:45:02 UTC 2013

>> Please, do not offer a delete function that prominent !
>
> This has come up before. Where should this action button move? Or should
> there be an alert message? How to resolve this with pro users who get
> angry with how hidden or alert-messaged the functionality is? Would
> welcome feedback here beyond the simple negative.

What about requiring double clicks on the delete icon to make sure a user
didn't accidentally click the icon. And at the same time only showing a
tooltip on single clicks: "Are you sure you want to delete this item?
Double click to delete."
That way power-users can go on with their deletions without a substantial
barrier, but newbies are much less likely to accidentially delete things.
Variations: Require shift-click or crtl-/option-click on the delete button.

I know, this isn't an already well established UI pattern, though. :/

Cheers.
Martin