[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 13:48:37 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> As has been discussed before, we are not planning to add intrusive "Are you sure?" warnings to iD. Such second-guessing disrupts legitimate workflows and turns away new users, who typically already feel anxiety about doing something wrong.
>
> with that approach (letting the users incidentally damage turn restrictions or other relations without warning by deleting members or combining them in a harmful way ) new users will get even more anxious as they will get mailed by others afterwards.
>
> Relations are fragile and if they are almost hidden for the mapper a warning should be the minimal precaution (or alternatively don't let iD users do these kind of edits where relations are involved and would be damaged).

I used to get irritated by what seemed to be unnecessary warnings, but now I'd
prefer to see even more of them. I could make a case for an 'expert' switch to
disable them selectively, but that would be something I'd probably leave off.
Often the warning is a prompt to cross check what one is doing.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL