[OSM-talk] Dirt Roads in Mapnik, default render in OSM

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 19:01:03 UTC 2013

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 03:40:33PM +0200, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> >I think the general idea is that track is a dirt roads fit for
>> >two-tracked vehicles (cars, agricultural) and path is a dirt road
>> >fit for one-tracked vehicles (because too narrow for two-tracked).
> A track is for aggricultural purposes - As soon there is the school
> bus or waste collection trucks passing it CANT be a track.
>
> Its either highway=service/service=driveway or an unclassified - it
> might have a surface=dirt/grass whatever.

Sorry, but this is the whole problem with the way things had been reorganised.
'Dirt' trackways need to be rendered in a different way to highway=service, and
from a rendering point of view having to search other tags to modify the base
rendering, and also routing, is just wrong. So I will not use highway=service
for trackways around here that are still used by school buses, refuse trucks and
delivery lorries. As a result tracks that are only suitable for agricultural
access get tagged as paths to distinguish them from the ones that are used more
publically, but are not 'highways'. Sat Nav routing is giving some strange
results and long detours avoiding some of these public trackways so sorting this
out is important.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL