[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org - some numbers

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Aug 25 10:52:29 UTC 2013

Fabian Schmidt wrote:
>> See other thread an why there should not be a delete button! I made the same
>> case on potlatch in the past and now the reasons are even greater.
>
> In your last 5 changesets you deleted 7 nodes. You improved the quality of the
> map by deleting (and adding) nodes.
>
> When you try a new editor or add a node by mistake, you might not want to save
> everything you added. So you need a way to delete them without throwing away all
> your changes.

As none of the editors understand the concept of historic information, none of
them do the job right. id certainly does NOT allow moving nodes as well as P2
does - although part of that is probably now learning yet another interface!!!

Undo and redo are the correct way of handling things WITHIN a changeset, and yes
delete is appropriate in the change set, but nodes that already exist IN the
database need different handling. New mappers may not even appreciate that a
node may be part of many other objects, and so while they are deleting it in the
concept of what they are modifying, it may not be appropriate for the other ways
using it! It irritates me that people merge ways because of a 'macro' view, but
pulling them back apart to restore the the micro view is difficult with the
current tools :( And has trouble with the reusing the changeset history.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL