[OSM-talk] ImageInOsm: a photomapping mobile application

Gilles Bassière gbassiere at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 14:58:33 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'd like to introduce ImageInOsm [1], a photomapping mobile application.

The app is intended for on-the-field users. It is very easy to use (see
screenshots [1]):
1. the user select an OSM object that he is seeing on the ground
2. he takes a picture of this object
3. the picture is sent to Flickr with the OSM id in the tags

You can already try it:
- for Android, just download and install this test package [2],
- for iOS, we are unforunately not aware of any easy solution to publish
a test package, you will have to build and install from the source code
(you will need a Mac with the XCode software).

Compared to traditionnal photomapping process, ImageInOsm promotes
collaboration. Indeed, the pictures will not remain on a hard/flash
drive, they will immediately be shared on the Web with metadata allowing
others to find and use them.

Please note that (as the name does NOT imply) pictures will not be
stored on any OSM server. Instead, they will be sent to a 3rd-party
server (Flickr, ...) under your own account. The sole innovation
consists in linking the picture to the OSM object that it references.

So far, the application only works with Flickr as a backend. The tagging
convention used makes the pictures compatible with LizPOI [3] and
OsmFlickr [4]. We hope that one day these pictures will be easily
available in your editor (a JOSM plugin would do the job but we this is
not on our roadmap, if anyone is interested).

We are grateful to Jean-Louis Zimmermann from "Ville d'Orange" for
having initiated and supported this project.

Technically speaking, this app is built upon:
- Cordova 3.0
- JavaScript + BackboneJS
- HTML/CSS + Bootstrap 2.x
Source code is available on Github [5], distributed under the Apache
license 2.0. Of course, any contribution will be happily received: code,
documentation, bug report, propositions, etc.

We are aware that the project is not completely mature but the code is
under active development. We are already planning the following updates:
- support Wikimedia as a picture backend (ongoing development)
- configurable filters for OSM objects so that users can make thematic
campaign
- improve user experience (see issues on GitHub)

[1] http://naturalsolutions.github.io/ImageInOsm/
[2] http://depot.natural-solutions.eu/ImageInOsm/ImageInOsm-0.1.apk
[3] http://lizpoi.3liz.com/demo/index.php/lizpoi/map/?tree_id=1
[4]