[OSM-talk] Welcome box on the new map page

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 12:37:59 UTC 2013

Shaun McDonald wrote:
> osm.org is aimed at mappers and people mapping, rather than as a general purpose go to site for navigation.

I'm not arguing otherwise, but at present even FINDING another site that CAN be
used for routing from the new front page is a nightmare. Alright the old page
was messy, but there were at least obvious links to get to other sites. The new
setup seems to be saying 'if you are not here to map go away!' If this is really
the case then perhaps we need a NEW site for those of us who contribute data
with a view to actually using it live?

The about page is VERY short on help to get to other material ( but I do not
object to advertising sponsors on that page ), and I probably need to try the
site as a cold user to se if registering a new account is any more helpful, but
trying to establish what is needed to help WITHOUT registering is not looking
good. It's not the interface itself that is the problem, but simply what
material is displayed in those first couple of clicks! Perhaps all I am asking
for is a simple link to 'other services' in that welcome box which take you to a
wiki for accessing routers and other useful tools?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL