[OSM-talk] Good use of time ...

Barry Hunter barry at barryhunter.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 14:01:47 UTC 2013

On 2 December 2013 13:51, Martin Koppenhoefer  wrote:

> offering a list of
> services where you can actually get more and all data (i.e. planet.osm.org,

already listed there

> geofabrik,

already there

> metroextracts,

already there

> coastlines, overpass, torrent, etc. (if those are
> fine with being mentioned prominently there)).

The last link is to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Download

so they can all be listed there.

> Also it was said that our main API was for editing purposes only, how does
> that relate to an export function like this?

Its intended for Editing. But doesnt meant it can't be used (in a
limited capacity) for downloads...

That wording I would think is mainly to discourage people using the
main API as a general downloading API. There are alternatives that
would almost certainly work better.