[OSM-talk] Bitcoin Spam

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 07:16:16 UTC 2013

Steve,

You're right, in theory, but there's a bunch that Frederik has omitted.

First, the coinmap people have not merely been documenting places, but
doing whole copying from map to map. They even had a video on how to do it,
but that's gone.

Secondly, they don't verify the information they add. They are working off
lists of places which they simply enter into OSM.

Thirdly, the problem with this view on mapping "Someone will fix it later"
is that it shift responsibility downward. OSM is predicated on doing the
best you can do at the moment. It may not be perfect, but we've seen a
number of import efforts (coinmap included) which use bad practices for
finding and placing locations, or using bad tags.

Put another way- this is an import that was done without the import
process, and if it had gone through the process, we would have judged it
technically lacking (and possibly not usable license-wise).

- Serge