[OSM-talk] The new OpenStreetMap.org design

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:57:14 UTC 2013

Lester replied:

> Well if I am the only person using embedded maps then why provide
> them?

Sorry, when you used "we" I didn't know who you were speaking about.

> I've just been working through all the combinations again to
> document things
> myself. Yesterday when I grabbed an iframe, the large map link
> included a way
> reference! I edited it out. Not sure how I managed to get that as
> would not
> have know the id number without it being supplied but it's not
> present today.

I have just reproduced this. If you use the "Share link" when you
are on a /way/id page then the "View Larger Map" link links back to
the /way/id page. Whether this is by design (so it links back to
where you shared) or something that needs opening as an issue is
perhaps up for debate. As the way isn't highlighted in the embedded
map I tend towards it needing opening as an issue.

> I'm still having to add the marker to the larger map link.

I always get the mlat and mlon parameters in the larger map link
tests I have done so far so can't reproduce the problem.

> ( how long will the short link references be maintained? I prefer
the
> full
> version, but editing the redirect for short links could be a
useful
> feature if
> they are intended to be permanent. Some site wipe them after 30
> days? )

Shortlinks are an encoding based on the location being shared. See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shortlink
As such they won't expire.

> The embedded map does need finishing off with the same style
> navigation as the
> newer map, but as others have said, the old slider was a lot more
> mobile friendly!

Mobile sites (at least Leaflet based - not sure about OpenLayers)
tend to be easier to use pinch zooming rather than using the +/-
controls (at least on my phone). However, it might be an enhancement
to be consistent in the zoom controls (if shown) being in the top
right, rather than top left when embedded and top right in the main
map.

I've opened the embed including way/id as issue 616
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/616
and the enhancement suggestion as issue 617
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/617

Ed