[OSM-talk] Which renderer for high quality, printed cycle map?

Václav Řehák rehakv01 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:56:18 GMT 2013

2013/1/31 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>   We'd like to produce a high quality bike map, to be printed. I'm
> looking at the various renderers and wondering if anyone has a
> recommendation?

I don't have a recommendation for particular renderer, but if you'd
like to get inspiration for the actual style, we ("Prague by bike"
bicycle advocacy group) have created a mapnik based style for online
cycle map [1]. It shows different surface type (e.g. squared texture
for cobblestones), cycle route relations are displayed with varying
line style depending on the surface quality (solid vs. dashed) and
lighter colour for primary highways and darker for tertiary highways
or separated cycleways. The map legend [2] is in Czech only but Google
translate deals with it ok. The style itself is available on Github
[3]

Vaclav

[1] http://mapa.prahounakole.cz
[2] http://prahounakole.cz/kudy-po-praze/mapa/legenda/