[OSM-talk] Recent edits in the wiki / Trademark issue

Christopher Woods (IWD) christof at infinitus.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 18:17:34 GMT 2013

> 2013/2/1 Simon Poole <simon at osmfoundation.org>:
>> issue with respect to the trademark GEOCODE owned by Geocode, Inc. of
>> Alexandria, Virginia, USA. There are likely to be further related edits and
>> changes both on the wiki and the help site. Please do not add such removed
>> links back or undo any such edits. If you find use of the term “geocode” on
>> our wiki or help site please replace it with a generic term (for example
>> "search"), or report it to my e-mail address.
>
> What about replacing it with the German term "geokode" ?
>
> I fully support what been written by colliar and joto. What comes
> next? Corporation inc. registering a trademark for mapping party,
> mapper or crowd-sourced?
>
> cheers,
> Martin
IMHO if they are arguing solely upon basis of the word then Geocode's
lawyer's argument is specious. To that end, they're just trademark
trolling in a retcon attempt to show defence of a trade mark they
shouldn't arguably have been granted in the first place.

On what grounds do they issue the C&D against OSMF? Has it been detailed
anywhere? I'm very curious about the contents of the issued C&D if one
exists and I'd very much like to see the notice. (Happy to discuss by
email with relevant people off-list).