[OSM-talk] Recent edits in the wiki / Trademark issue

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Sat Feb 2 13:08:42 GMT 2013

On Friday, February 1, 2013, Simon Poole wrote:

> If you find use of the term “geocode” on our wiki or help site please
> replace it with a generic term (for example "search"), or report it to my
> e-mail address.

Hey Simon - I find this hard to believe. Can you confirm that OSMF was
requested to entirely cease the use of the term 'geocode' in any of its
properties? If that's the case, I wonder how much legal ground this has.
Even if it was sadly possible for someone to trademark an everyday term it
seems we should be able to use it in documentation like the wiki, in help
forums, in a blog article, etc.

Can you publish the notice?