[OSM-talk] Strategic planning for OSM (History)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Feb 4 04:17:01 GMT 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> The future SWG will face some of the same challenges as the previous
> version.  IMHO.  Firstly, OSM can mean different things to different
> people.  We are a diverse bunch.  SWG is unlikely to put every diverse
> interest as first priority in their planning and advice.  Secondly,
> attendance will continue to be a challenge.  Thirdly, the work is without
> glamour and for little reward; advice from those non-first priority
> interests will be offered vigorously and often.  Fourthly, the worthwhile
> accomplishments will be more time-consuming.

It is of the upmost importance to understand what OSM means to our
contributors, OSM developers, to those developing third party applications,
and those who rely on the map. Once we have that understanding, then we can
move to the second step, deciding what we want to look like. How we
communicate both within and external to OSM. How we attract new
contributors, developers, etc. Possibly even the look and feel of the
osm.org website.. The third step is to develop a strategy to get there. And
finally, execute the strategy. But without first understanding people needs
and desires, we should not rush to implement.

> The members of future SWG will see the same benefits that members of other
> OSMF Working Groups see.  Firstly, they'll get regular contact with
> awesome, committed, thoughtful, clever, OSM contributors from diverse
> backgrounds with diverse interests.  Secondly, they'll get to collaborate
> with those people on interesting questions and to provide worthy,
> thoughtful potential answers.  Thirdly, they'll get to learn and share
> their experiences.

Actually, just everyday interactions with the people involved with OSM show
me how clever, committed and determined they are.  But I do understand
where you are coming from.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch