[OSM-talk] Paweł's q: what can be done?

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Tue Feb 5 04:06:26 GMT 2013

On 2013-02-04 07:35, Jeff Meyer wrote:
> To answer your first question, I do. Others have voiced the same

you're making a decision not to have a decision any more (leading
implies someone making decisions on your behalf)? that's rather
contradictory

> opinion - theyd like to see some organization, to know that their
> efforts are being applied for the most benefit. Your voice is noted,
> but there should be room for disagreement, no?

not if it affects me, or anyone else who doesn't want to be affected,
no. there is the faint whiff of top-down organisation happening here,
which is very concerning. i didn't take part in osm in order for someone
to organise me.

> One of the goals of a strategic exercise would be to test your thesis
> whether OSMs (and the OSMFs) "damn good job so far," is "damn good"
> enough to continue to survive and thrive. The thesis that an
> organizing board reduces a community of thousands to the views of a
> handful seems contrary to what has gone on with many other successful
> OS projects.

considering the problems with representative democracy in the last 300
years, and how the "representatives" are rarely representative of the
many, i'm not sure this is possible:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/nov/23/congress-us-politics

i recall that 80+% of british MPs are millionaires, while ~0.1% of
their constituents are. out of touch?

if someone is not being represented, then by definition we won't hear
from them, so we won't know if there are any problems, such as poor
representation. so whether the other successful OS projects are
representing everyone or not is difficult to judge

--
robin

http://universitywithoutconditions.ac.nz - Auckland's Free University