[OSM-talk] Display names of crossroads

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Wed Feb 13 13:44:07 UTC 2013

Am 13.02.2013 14:22, schrieb Andrew Errington:
> I would also like this, for Korea.  Obviously it's a rendering issue, but it
> would be nice if the map on osm.org would have this.
>
> I tried adding a junction=yes tag to a named junction as described in the
> wiki[1], but it would not render a label for me.
>
> In Korea most junctions have large signs with their names.  I showed the
> osm.org map to a Korean friend who was looking very hard for a named junction
> to orient themselves with the map, so it's quite important for Korean map
> users.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew

Yes. Generally I think that non-Western map styles are completely
neglected in OSM, but I have no idea to change that. How can we get in
touch with the people who define the rendering styles? Somehow it seems
to me (from the perspective of an ordinary user) that they are some kind
of “gods”, who choose abritarily what is done and what is not.
Well, this time I try not to give up until this is done :) It must be
very frustating for Korean and Japanese users to map, but seeing that
their efforts are basically completely useless on OSM, because the map
will not display anything which is needed for a usable map in these areas.

Concerning tagging: I don’t think that there should be some special tag.
The node which intersects both roads should just get a name property.
JOSM displays the name there, and I think this is how it should be
displayed on osm.org, too.

Hans