[OSM-talk] Display names of crossroads

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Thu Feb 14 12:01:29 UTC 2013

> 2013/2/14 Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>:
>> On 02/13/2013 08:03 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
>>> How would it work when the intersection also has traffic lights? I
>>> know that there will always be some cases where there are tag key
>>> collisions but it seems that they will be *very* common in this case
>>> between highway=junction and highway=traffic_signals
>> That is one more argument in favour of tagging traffic signals at the
>> position of each traffic signal's stop line instead of abstracting their
>> existence into on single tag at the junction.
>>
>> So let's make good use of the perfectly good highway=junction and let's
>> put highway=traffic_signals where they belong !
> sorry, I think I missed the argument why highway=junction is better
> than the established junction=* ? Please keep in mind that the only
> established value for highway seems to be motorway_junction, while
> highway=junction is currently used a poor 123 times.
Actually, I was fixated on highway=traffic_signals and got carried away
in sort of hijacking the thread to mention its proper positioning while
losing the point of the discussion...

My position in regards to highway=junction vs. junction=* is neutral -
though I consider the everything=yes trend as namespace pollution. So :
- junction=* if there is enough diversity to justify that namespace
- highway=junction if junction=yes is going to represent most of the
junction=* space