[OSM-talk] additional layers on osm.org

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 21 17:06:11 UTC 2013

> From: Jason Remillard [mailto:remillard.jason at gmail.com]
> Subject: [OSM-talk] additional layers on osm.org
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I wanted to confirm the major reason we only have 4 layers on osm.org,
> is a resourcing issue, rather than a political issue. Basically, we do
> not have enough disk, cpu, bandwidth, and people to host them in the UK.

The only layer which uses OSMF resources is the layer labeled "Standard",
also known as osm.org mapnik. Given that others[1] are successfully
providing a wide variety of layers, it doesn't seem like devoting OSMF
resources to another worldwide non-debug layer is necessary.

> So assuming: we can host them on the US OSM servers, the servers can
> handle it, and the map quality is good, etc, etc.  Would there be any
> problem adding the following map layers to osm.org?

I don't think these concerns should impact if it goes on osm.org, but a
world-wide tile layer can take substantial resources, and is this what local
chapter wants to be doing?

[1] e.g. http://mapstyle.petschge.de/