[OSM-talk] Branding?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Feb 23 09:58:57 UTC 2013

Am 23.02.2013 08:24, schrieb Robin Paulson:
> On 2013-02-23 09:05, Simon Poole wrote:
>> A trademark and other IP use policy is one of the things the new OSMF
>
> How do we reconcile relatively permissive use of the OSM database,
> with relatively restrictive use of the Open Street Map name? For the
> moment, I put to one side Stallman's argument that "there is no such
> thing as intellectual property" [1].

The "relatively restrictive" is conjecture by you.

At least my intention is have a as liberal as possible policy that still
makes it clear that we want usage of the relevant names/marks to be
non-confusing and factually correct (for example we would not want any
of the other actors in the geo-data space using OpenStreetMap as a brand
for their products if they do not contain 100% OSM data).

Wrt RMS: it suffices to point out that GNU is a trademark of the FSF.

Simon