[OSM-talk] Revival: Multilingual Country-List

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 24 01:19:24 UTC 2013

On 23/02/2013 19:28, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> On 22 February 2013 15:25, Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
>> at least
>> one localized name to be equal to the name attribute, mappers will either be
>> offended and leave the project or they will find a solution, imagine
>> name:communityagreement="Bruxelles - Brussel" - just to make sure the name
>> the community want's to see in the name tag and rendered on the most
>> prominent maps.
>
> Clearly we don't want that. But I was suggesting to improve the
> heuristic to deal with this usecase. Show a warning if :
> * There is a name:XX but no name or
> * There is at least one name:XX and a name and
>    - The name doesn't match any name:XX and
>    - The name looks like it can be split (with a dash, a slash, a
> paren, etc) and one of the subname doesn't match any name:XX

Keep Right can do some of this, with the "Language unknown" warning.
http://keepright.ipax.at/
It will warn if there is at least one name:XX tag, and the name tag
doesn't match any of them. Note this is just a warning, it is not
necessarily an error.

I don't think it handles multiple names in the name tag, separated by
dashes/slashes etc, these will still be highlighted with a warning. I'm
sure suggested improvements or patches would be welcome.