[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Tagging Live indoor music venues

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Feb 24 17:59:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-02-24 at 11:37 -0500, william skora wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was curious us to hear what others have been using to tag music
> venues. There's numerous places in my city that hold upwards of 1,000
> people for music concerts (also called 'shows'). In the US, they're
> indoors, serve alcohol, and usually only open when there are shows.
> There's usually admittance fees to enter. I'm thinking of places like
> House of Blues (yes, there's restaurants adjacent to some of them, but
> the one i've been to is separate from the concert venue), (Cleveland
> places like Beachland Ballroom, the Grog Shop), and more famous places
> like Bowery Ballroom.
>
> I looked on the wiki, didn't find anything besides a dead proposal -
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Music_venue
> That uses amenity=music_venue and has 56 uses according to taginfo.
>
> There's amenity=nightclub
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dnightclub but I don't
> think would be a great fit, there's not dancing at the concert venues
> (unless count the occasional mosh pit) that I'm describing. Plus,
> maybe it's just me, nightclub don't have live performers unless you
> count DJ's.
>
> Here's a related question on it in help -
> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/13007/which-tag-should-be-used-for-a-concert-hall
> amenity=concert_hall has about 67 uses according to taginfo.
>
> At first thought, I don't think there's an appropriate documented tag,
> so I'm inclined to use amenity=concert_hall or amenity=music_venue
>
> Your thoughts ?

Had not really thought about this one, but I do love going to rock
concerts.

I did look at my favourite venue, Rock City in Nottingham, but that is
tagged as a night club. I don't think it does it justice, it does have a
night club downstairs, but that is not the reason people travel from all
over the country to go <to gigs> there. I saw INXS there back in the
early 90s.

I would support amenity=music_venue, it describes this type of place.

In my mind, amenity=concert_hall is different, I would use that for
posher places such as The Royal Albert Hall and Carnegie Hall.

The tag live_music=yes has been used 9 times, I think that is good for
somewhere like a pub that has regular live music, but live music is not
its primary use.

Phil (trigpoint)