[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Tagging Live indoor music venues

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:49:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think separating rock music venues and concert halls is a good idea.
> They are basically the same thing, a big room where music is played.

Agreed. There are too many tags as it is. Excessive distinctions
causes a lot of pointless hair splitting arguments ("should I tag this
as a concert hall or a music venue?")

OTOH, if amenity=concert_hall, amenity=music_venue and
leisure=music_venue are all in pretty similar usage, we're pretty much
free to pick one to support. I'd take amenity=music_venue, as the term
is the broadest (and happily encompasses concert halls - the reverse
isn't true). leisure=* seems wrong - those tags are generally about
sports and recreation outdoors.

> Well, when you think of it there is a difference, concert halls usually have
> chairs. Is that a good separator of the two?

Not at all - lots of other venues do too. You could argue that concert
halls are designed for the performance of classical music, but even
that will break down. It's not a distinction that needs to be made.
Can you imagine a map that has different icons for "concert halls" vs
"music venues"?

> Maybe we could invent a tag like "music=rock;classical;popular" that
> differentiates those halls, and tag them all with amenity=music_venue.

Sounds ok...I think in practice there will be an awful lot of fuzzy
sets. Rock music at classical venues and vice versa.

Steve