[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Tagging Live indoor music venues

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Feb 25 16:16:10 UTC 2013

Am 25.02.2013 16:17, schrieb Markus Lindholm:
> On 25 February 2013 12:13, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think separating rock music venues and concert halls is a good idea.
>> They are basically the same thing, a big room where music is played.
> I don't agree. For the same reason we have both amenity=cafe and
> amenity=restaurant I think it's a better idea to have both
> amenity=concert_hall and amenity=music_venue. Of course one could make
> the argument that we should only have amenity=sustenance and
> amenity=music_venue, but then then we would lose information just for
> the sake of abstraction.
Both are bad examples imho, as both don't exclude each other.
A lot of locations are both: restaurant and cafe, selling warm meals for
lunch and dinner and coffee and cakes in the afternoon;
and some music locations are used for classical concerts as well as for
rock, pop, theater, musical, comedy and whatever more regularly.

Some stadiums nowadays are built with multiple usages in mind, e.g. the
arena "Auf Schalke" of the German soccer club "Schalke 04". Mainly a
soccer stadium there have been events like Sensation White (Electro and
House music), concerts (Herbert Grönemeyer, Metallica, Slayer, Pur,
Bruce Springsteen, U2, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Robbie Williams), operas (Aida,
Carmen, Turandot) (source partly [1]). Another example sport stadium
with multiple usages is the Lanxess Arena (formerly known as Kölnarena)
in Cologne.
On the other hand the Seidensticker-Halle in Bielefeld is usually a
sports facility for schools in Bielefeld, but used for all kind of
events, too.

I like the idea of tags for concert hall, music venue and the like, but
it should be possible to mix them, e.g. by using a very generic term
(like amenity=event_location) and several sub tags (like:
concert_events=yes, sport_events=regularly, theatre=yes, opera=no,
parties=no, conferences=yes) or something like that.

regards
Peter

[1] de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena