[OSM-talk] Geocode trademark

Donald Cooke doncooke2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:30:01 UTC 2013

If anyone gets around to challenging GEOCODE, Inc's trademark claim, a
couple of quick searches will find that the term has been in use in GIS
literature for ~45 years.  For example, I organized a working session on
Geocoding in 1971.  I put together a collection of papers called
"GEOCODING-71" which Google books shows available in nine libraries in the
USA and Canada. At the bottom of page 54, there's even a reference to a
commercial product called "GEOCODE".  I really wish these people would do
something useful with their lives and talents rather than annoy others with
groundless legal actions.