[OSM-talk] How to obtain a small coastline polygon for TileMill?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Feb 26 06:36:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:20:22PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> 5) openstreetmapdata.com's land/sea polygons
> (http://openstreetmapdata.com/data/land-polygons)
> - very slow to render (because it's the whole world?)

There are two versions, one has huge unsplit polygons, one has them split into
small pieces. If you use the split polygons it should render very quickly.
Because you are only interested in a small area, you should probably cut out
that area before use anyway (with ogr2ogr for instance).

And create a shape index file! This will make rendering much faster.

> - it's off by ~25km south of the other OSM data. I used the Mercator projection

I am quite sure that it is not off, maybe you other data is off?

These map tiles use the data from openstreetmapdata.com, looks okay to me:
http://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html?zoom=10&lat=-38.03187&lon=144.8822&layers=B000TT

Jochen